Monday, September 14, 2009

Man you're growing up fast!


I have been blown away lately at Sam's development, growth, etc. It's so sad how much less you are able to catch every single thing that's happening with your second born, but it is clear that God's grace is sufficient for Sam, and for my lack of attention I can pay to him (as much as Jake got, I should say). Here's a few things that have happened lately that I can take ZERO credit for. Oh, and a special thanks to Jake for helping raise his brother, in his all of 22 month-older wisdom, as I'm sure a lot of these things can be attributed to watching big bro!
* Yesterday when I took Sam's diaper off to change him, he grabbed himself and said "pee pee", walked to the toilet, put the soccer ball potty seat on, climbed up, pushed his peepee down into the toilet, and FULL ON PEED! I could not believe my eyes! Didn't Jake just potty train a few months ago!? Jake was just as shocked and we both stood in the hallway clapping and cheering for him! Since then, he makes several trips to the potty claiming the same thing (or poopoo) but has yet to repeat yesterday's successful moment. I try to give him the same encouragement because I'm just thrilled that he's even thinking about it. Oh, and each time he tries (tonight it was literally 6 times in like 20 minutes) when he pushes his peep down he makes the sound "ssssssss" and then smiles and says "all done!" so cute!
* Tonight Sam was trying to get up to his booster and was fussing, "mommies, mommies". I sarcastically said, "Sam, how many mommies do you have?" and he quickly answered, "two!" (news to me)
* Sam is huge on pointing out messes. Tonight he pointed out where his sippy cup leaked milk saying "mommy! mess!" and as I took a towel over to wipe it up he turned his back to walk away and said "thanks." Like it was just killing him to see the mess! Maybe he'll apply the same annoyance to messes as he grows and his room will be spotless :)
* He describes things by color now. I have no idea how he learned his colors! Good to know that they learn them even when you don't sit down with books, slides, flashcards, etc. like you have time to do with the first :)
* As I have mentioned in past blogs, Sam gets very tense around meal time and screams at me about it in the kitchen. Lately I've seen how effective engaging him in the meal prep is and he has LOVED being apart of it. So now almost each meal he helps set the table with pride and loves to get up on a chair to oversee my work and repeats "cookin'! hot! bubbles! stir. dumpit. pour."
* Finally! Justice! I always ask Sam what happened when I come into a crying situation with him and Jake, but it's not always so useful of a question. Tonight, finally Sam crying said, "Jake hit!" and hit himself on the top of the head to show me. I was so excited for him, he finally has a voice!
* And last "you're growing up comment" is that I picked him up tonight and could not believe how heavy he felt. I swear he gained 5 pounds today! It's just so sad to know that my baby is not such a baby anymore!

1 comment:

  1. It's so sweet to me how Jake protects and cares for Sam, at least from my perspective! :) I love how he cheered for him when he peed in the potty! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete