Thursday, September 16, 2010


I have had some sweet conversations with Jake lately about the Lord. It has been so cool to be able to discuss spiritual matters on a deeper level with my four year old, and to witness his hunger to learn more. He truly has a special love for God which he loves to profess often, and he asks to read his bible everyday. Sam, who usually has nothing to say about the subject had a really amazing understanding tonight.

This morning we were getting into the car and the Mercy Me song, "I Can Only Imagine" came on. I told Jake that this was the "heaven song" that he loved and reminded him how it talks about how amazing it will be to meet Jesus in heaven. He looked very interested so I went on. I explained that when we die, we will get to meet Jesus at the gates of Heaven, and if He looks at us and recognizes that He knew us because we walked with Him while we were on Earth then He will let us enter the gates into heaven and walk alongside us. He asked, "what does it mean to walk with Jesus?" I told him that it means we are not the boss, we let Him be in charge of us and we obey Him. Jake said, "I want to walk with Jesus." I of course was thrilled, kinda caught off guard, and trying to decide what to do next, and then he said, "I love Jesus".

So we go about our drive to school and the boys start asking about this whole idea of Jesus knowing their name when they meet him. Jake was asking if he didn't know someones name and I told him that He knows everyones name, even those who reject Him. Sam said, "He even knows Wuke Evi's name? (Luke Levi)" I said, yes, even before mommy and daddy knew that was his name. They thought that was pretty cool.

Tonight at dinner, when Matt was home, and out of the blue, Sam said, "Mom, is Jesus throughout Heaven?" I told him He was but that He also lived here with us on Earth. What he said next made Matt and I melt, "In Heaven, Jesus is going to meet us at the gates and let us in." I had not yet told Matt about our conversation this morning, nor did I realize how much Sam was paying attention or comprehending. Matt was shocked and said, "That's right Sam, who taught you that?" (I was quiet because I wanted to hear what he said). Sam answered, "God".

Matt and I talked about how amazing God is that He reveals himself to children at such a young age, even though they still have so much to learn and understand about Him. Jake will tell us that he prayed about something, which to us often seems so trivial (but sweet), and then before our very eyes we witness God answering His prayer! While in our jaded hearts we are amazed, Jake has a look of confidence like he never once doubted that God would answer his prayer. We have no doubt that God is moving in our boys' hearts already and building in them a faith that in some ways surpasses our own. Who knew that God would use our own children to teach us just what child-like faith should look like. As a parent this is such a huge blessing and as a Christian, a very cool thing to watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment